If only that last commercial was real. As a friend told me immediately, “Do you think Coke would ever say those things?”
Coke did make an Anti-obesity ad last year that did, to their credit, did talk about being active early in life, consuming too many calories and decreasing portion size.
The real commercial is quite clever in a few ways:
- They make it seem they are concerned in improving a nation wide epidemic (which they are one of the primary sources of) – it only makes sense that they clean up their own mess.
- They want you do decrease portions/calories – 7 percent of the calories come from soda, the biggest single source in our diet.
- They offer 180 low/no calorie choices – filled with aspartame/sweeteners that are known to cause cancer and diabetes.
- Smaller portion controlled sizes – that cost equal to or more than the original sizes and use up more packaging which comes at a cost to the environment.
- Put water, juice and low/no calorie options – 95% of juice is sugar water and see above for low/no calorie options.
Very smart marketing Coke. Well done.
Best in health,
Hey there beautiful people,
It’s been know for decades the harmful effects of pop (or Soda for all you Americans).
It has been known to (potentially) cause or contribute to:
- Organ damage
- Accelerated aging
- Muscle loss
- Memory loss/decreased cognition
Etc. Etc. Etc. And this is just a short list. The list goes on and on and on. The extent of the damage that pop/soda does may not be common knowledge to most people but it is safe to say that people know that it’s bad for you. Drop the coke. Walk away. Should be that easy right?
Guess not. Coca-cola is one of the biggest companies in the world. You would be hard pressed to find somewhere their influenced is not felt. I drank a lot of pop as a kid (I didn’t know any better) and even now indulge every so often (even though I know better) in a Coke/Diet Coke (usually with some form of alcohol). So we all know pop is bad for us yet we still drink it. The healthcare industry tells you not to drink it and we still drink it.
But what about if the actually company told you to stop drinking it?
@ 1:33 – The calories in Coca-Cola products have no nutritional value.
@ 1:42 – If you drink Coke you will get fatter and fatter.
@ 1:49 – Don’t drink Coke. It’s killing you and your family.
Like they say in the video, it’s like if the tobacco companies told you not to smoke and that smoking kills. Is this some form of reverse psychology? Or do you think people just don’t care? Perhaps the old saying is right, “there is no such thing as bad publicity.”
What do you guys think?
Best in health,
Good afternoon beautiful people!
Does it surprise you to know that common foods found in North America (mostly the United States) are banned in other countries around the world? A grain of wheat found in the States is completely different than a grain of wheat found in Europe. Literally, the genetic make up of the two are so different that on some level you can consider them a different species. Crazy right?
Here are 10 other foods as per www.Mercola.com that we likely eat on a daily basis but because of food additives, growth promoters & genetically engineered ingredients, other countries wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole.
1. Farm Raised Salmon – salmon are fed unnatural diet of grains, antibiotics and other drugs. Because of the grayish, unappealing colour, is dyed pink using a petrochemical not approved for human consumption. Banned in Australia and New Zealand.
2. Genetically Engineered Papaya – Genetically engineered food has been linked to many damaging affects including intestinal damage, organ damage, tumors, birth defects and sterility. Banned in the European Union.
3. Ractopamine Meat – A chemical used to reduce fat content in pigs, cattle and turkey.
4. Citrus Flavored Sodas and Sport Drinks – Contains a synthetic chemical that was originally used as a flame retardant (Brominated Vegetable Oil – BVO). Bioaccumulates in human tissue and breast milk and can cause reproductive and behavioral problems.
5. Processed Foods with Artificial Colors and Dyes – Over 3000 additives are added to US foods. Can have toxic and hazardous health effects and especially with regards to adverse effects on children’s behavior.
6. Arsenic Laced Chicken – Arsenic based drugs make animals grow quicker and make the meat pinker (and more appealing). Although organic arsenic is primarily used, it changes into inorganic arsenic which is a known carcinogen. Banned in the European Union.
7. Bread with Potassium Bromate – Bromated flour has been shown to damage kidneys and nervous system and cause thyroid problems, gastrointestinal discomfort and cancer. Banned in Canada, China and the European Union.
8. Olestra/Olean – A calorie and cholesterol free fat substitute used in fat free snacks like chips and french fries. It has been known to cause diarrhea, cramps and leaky bowels. It also interferes with the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. Banned in the UK and Canada.
9. Preservatives BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) & BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) – known to cause cancer in rats and possibly humans. Banned in Japan and parts of the European Union.
10. Milk and Dairy laced with Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH) – Injected into cows to increase milk production. Linked to increase risk for colorectal, prostate and breast cancer. Banned in over 30 nations including Australia, New Zealand, Israel, the European Union and Canada.
To avoid potentially hazardous foods and harmful ingredients your best bet is to cut processed foods out of your diet (or as much as possible). Other than that, changes to the landscape of how food hits our tables aren’t changing any time soon.
Best in health,
Please join us this WEDNESDAY, JUNE 25 @7-8:30pm (Q & A to follow) at Yorkdale Wellness Clinic (see attached flyer) for a workshop that will show you how to…
Discover The Six Secrets That Will Awaken Your Genius!
Workshops based on the award-winning bestseller:
Awaken the Genius,
Mind Technology for the 21st Century
by Patrick K. Porter, Ph.D.
Welcome to the world of the awakened genius! The “Secrets of Genius” workshops are a hands-on adventure into the realm of genius. You not only learn about whole-brain thinking, but are taught in a whole-brain format! As an experiential workshop, Secrets of Genius involves learning through seeing, hearing, doing and integrating. Using the cutting-edge technology outlined in the book Awaken the Genius, Mind Technology for the 21st Century, which was voted the best “how-to” book of 1994 by the North American Bookdealers Exchange, the program offers a powerful synthesis of Psycho-Linguistics (the language of the mind), Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), guided imagery and experientials. The power in this dynamic seminar resides in integration. Self-discovery exercises and guided imageries awaken the imagination, and inspire the other-than-conscious mind.
MASTER the Secrets of Genius!
Have you ever wondered about your life’s purpose? Did you ever feel there was a more creative, inventive and intuitive you somewhere deep inside? Scientists and psychologists agree, most people are using less than 10% of their brain’s full potential. Well here is your opportunity to uncover the talents and skills that have been lying dormant within you and to unleash that genius that is your birthright.
You can take a whole-brain journey into your inner genius with Dr. Patrick Porter, author of the award-winning book,Awaken the Genius. Become an activator of the new paradigm that is now readily apparent around the world–it is where geniuses abound and peace and the pursuit of collective happiness is the founding principle. You will learn:
* The stuff “genius” is made of — and how to get it.
* The secrets of time — and how to use it.
* The power of the other-than-conscious mind — and how to activate it.
* The nature of learning preferences – and how it applies to you.
* About the brain – and how to balance its power.
There are still limited seats available, please RSVP to this DrJoyArciaga@gmail.com to reserve your spot. Bring your friends & family too. All attendees will get a chance to come in to our clinic a complimentary Neurological Assessment and MindFit Session
We hope to see you all there!
First post in quite a while.
Today’s topic: Organic Foods. What does Organic really mean?
Definition (as per the USDA National Organic Program (NOP)):
Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bio-engineering or ionizing radiation. Before a product can be labeled “organic,” a Government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards. Companies that handle or process organic food before it gets to your local supermarket or restaurant must be certified, too.
This is makes sense BUT something that I found out recently really surprised me. Did you know that there are different tiers (levels) of organic food? Organic ingredients is not the same as certified organic which is not the same as 100% organic.
2) Organic (Certified Organic): 95% of the ingredients meet the organic standard.
3) Made with Organic Ingredients: At least 70% of the ingredients in this product meet the organic standard.
4) Anything less than 70% can only have “Organic” for each specific item on the ingredient label that meets the organic standard.
Have a great day everyone.
Book an appointment with Dr. Joy today!
Just a short clip today about Genetically Modified Foods. We’re not going to go in to the the absolute horrors and damage that GMO food can do to our bodies here and now. It’s a lengthy discussion. Long story short: they are bad for us, screw up our bodies, and they are everywhere (estimated to be in about 70% of all foods in a typical grocery store).
What this video is simply talking about is being aware of which foods actually fall into that category. The big agriculture industries don’t even want us to know which foods have it and which don’t. That should tell you something right away.
Have a great weekend,
Book an appointment with Dr. Joy today.
A couple of months ago I posted a trailer for a documentary about the current healthcare system. There are some shocking truths about present day healthcare that are not brought into the public eye. Medicine, specifically big Pharmaceuticals, is the biggest industry in the world. Trillions of dollars are spent annually treating health. Actually let me rephrase that. Trillions of dollars are spent treating DISEASE. Not health.
Why is this the biggest industry in the world? How come we are spending more and more on the healthcare every single year and yet we are the sickest our society has ever been? The United States has about 5% of the world’s population yet consumes 50% of the world’s prescription drugs. Canada spent over 200 Billion Dollars on healthcare in 2011 and that figure is expected to increase for 2012.
Hippocrates was the very first physician in history. Doctors take the Hippocratic Oath. Do you believe that Hippocrates imagined that we needed to ingest pill after pill after pill to maintain our health?
Don’t get me wrong. Doctors play such an invaluable role in healthcare. If I get hit by a car please call 911 and bring me to the hosptial ASAP. There is no one better in the world at saving lives than a doctor. But should the be all and end all solution for all ailments be meds? As it stands right now it isn’t a matter of is medication warranted. It is WHICH medication should I be taking?
For a limited time only here is the first look at Doctored. Enjoy
Let MD’s treat your disease. Let’s try treating your health for a change.
So who has one of those big swiss balls collecting dust in the corner of their room? Maybe you use it to dry clothes on (I did for many years)? Well pull it out, dust it off, and let’s get going.
1. Ball Push-Up: A great way to work your chest, triceps, upper pectoral, and core muscles is the ball push-up.
A) Rest your shins thighs on the ball and place your hands on the floor shoulder width apart. Lower your upper body toward the ground until your arms are bent at 90 degrees, and then lift back up. This inclined position really targets your chest. Rest your feet on the ball to make it more difficult.
B) Same as a regular push up but place both hands on the ball instead. This will force you to use chest stabilizers muscles to complete the exercise.
Keep your core nice and tight for both of these.
2. Ball Jack Knife: Targets your abdominal and hip muscles.
Place your hands on the floor shoulder-width apart, arms extended, ankles on the ball, and legs extended. Put your weight on your arms and roll the ball in toward your arms by bending your knees and waist. Extend your legs back out straight. Repeat. Keep that core tight.
3. Ball Squat against a wall: work your quadriceps and buttocks
Start standing up straight with a Swiss ball in between your back and a wall. Start with the Swiss ball in the middle of your back. Lean into the ball and begin to squat down. Squat until your thighs are parallel to the ground and your knees are at 90 degrees. Your knees should never drift over your toes. Straighten back up to the start position and repeat 8-10 times. The slower you go the harder it will be. Make it even more difficult by switching to a single leg.
Adding the Swiss ball to your workout is great for beginners or for someone looking to add some variety to their workout.
More to come later.
Have a great one,
Being active is such a huge component to your overall health. I can help getting you MOVING WELL and OFTEN.
Hello there people,
So last week we talked about stress and how long term and chronic stress can play a huge and viscous role in disease. Don’t take my word for it though. Robert Sapolsky is a Stanford University Biologist who has been conducting research on stress for decades. His work has shown, without a doubt, how stress has such a profound negative impact on our health.
Some of his findings include:
- How we rank in our work hierarchy impacts how many sick days we take.
- Stress affects our weight and how our fat is stored.
- High levels of stress effect our memory and ability to learn.
- Stress changes our biochemistry and changes our moods.
- How stress can ALTER OUR DNA (scary!!!)
Take a look at this short clip from the Documentary “Stress: Portrait of a Killer”
If that peaked your interest watch the whole documentary. Super interesting look about our society’s outlook at stress and the overlooked impact it has on our health. Well worth an hour of your time. You won’t regret it.
I’ll leave you with this, in our society, we ADMIRE the person who can handle the most stress. We admire the worker who puts in 60 hours a week at the office and is able to multi task a large amount of different tasks. We find the student who juggles a full time class schedule, with a part time job, and family responsibilities to be hard working and determined. I won’t argue there. I’ve been there myself.
What people (myself included) don’t realize at the time is that this high level of function comes at a price. In a world where we are under constant tension, there is a breaking point.
Take the steps today to ensure you live a truly healthy lifestyle,
Chiropractic is a great way to take stress off your system. Book an Appointment today.
Today’s topic is near and dear to me. STRESS. What a huge and UNDERRATED factor this plays into each and every one of our lives. 8 out of 10 of the leading chronic diseases in Canada is linked to stress. Therefore, one can then logically conclude that if we can control our Stress levels we can decrease and eliminate most of the top chronic diseases plaguing Canada today.
Physical, mental, and chemical stress all have a contributing role. In fact, the body can NOT distinguish the difference between the three and will respond in the exact same way. The sympathetic nervous system is activated resulting in a cascade of hormones that act to improve our chances of survival. Our heart rate and blood pressure is raised to bring more blood to our muscles. Our breathing rate is increase to bring more oxygen into our body. Adrenaline kicks in and we are in prime condition to do whatever we have to do to maintain our survival. In the short term, this is actually a GREAT thing. Our ancestors needed this system in place in order to survive.
Cut to 2012. We live in a stressful world. We live in a world of deadlines, demanding schedules and bosses, car payments to make and good grades to achieve. We no longer turn off our sympathetic stress response. Our short term stress response that is designed to help us survive is now in a constant state of activation. In the long term this stress response is BAD. Chronic stress leads us to increased anxiety, stunted growth, poor sleep, impaired mental cognition, heart disease, decreased immunity and a ton of other adverse conditions (check out the infographic)
So what does this mean for us? We now know the way we let stress affect our lives has a profound impact on our health. We need to start taking a proactive stance on the way we live. Taking time to de-stress from life is very important (going to the spa, hitting the gym, seeing your Chiropractor, relaxing and watching TV) but in some cases may be not enough (see fact #5). Instead, make a personal commitment to yourself to consciously monitor your stress levels. Keep them in check. Don’t let the small stuff get to you. I’m not trying to say that life isn’t stressful, but you can have an impact on your stress based on the things you do on a daily basis (stress strategies to come in a later post perhaps).
Take a deep breath and get to it.
Vita Integrative Health Clinic (at Yonge and St. Clair)